Thursday 11 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 11: Turkish Rice Pudding

When I first visited Turkey as a vegetarian, I fell in love with the rice pudding - served chilled it was rich, creamy and fragrantly scented with rose water, and quite simply the best rice pudding I'd ever tasted. Ever since then I've been trying to reproduce that taste. The closest that I've come to it is the rice pudding recipe from Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery by David Scott (I have the 1981 edition.) I've made this recipe in the past and enjoyed it - today's effort was more than just edible, but not the delight I was hoping for. The recipe calls for a combination of milk (I used home-made almond milk) and water in a ratio of 3:1. I wonder if it would have been better had I used all almond milk rather than the combination, or perhaps added in some Oatly cream or cashew cream. Obviously more experimentation is required... However the good thing is that I have rediscovered this book and picked out the Damascus semolina pudding as my next recipe to try. Meanwhile, here's a picture of the rice pud, sitting on my new mouse mat!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment