Sunday 28 November 2010

vegan MoFo Day 27: Lemony Mixed Bean Hotpot

I adapted this recipe from one of those recipe cards that you can pick up at the supermarket. I brought the card home and used it as a bookmark and then finally rediscovered it in one of my cookery books a couple of years ago. Since then it has been a firm favourite. You can use any tinned or cooked beans that you have at hand. When I'm cooking beans for a recipe I cook twice the amount I need and freeze the rest so I usually have quite a variery of cooked beans in the freezer. If I don't have enough for this recipe, then I supplement them with a handful of lentils.

Lemony Mixed Bean Hotpot
1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced 
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 sticks of celery, finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into thin sticks
1 red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
1 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
390 g/14 oz tin of chopped tomatoes
340 ml/1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
205g/7 oz/1/2 can borlotti beans
205g/7 oz/1/2 can cannellini beans205g/7 oz/1/2 can pinto beans
1 lemon, thickly sliced
20 g/1 handful of fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
 
Saute the onion for a couple of minutes in 2 Tbsp vegetable stock. Add garlic, celery and carrots and cook for about 7-120 minutes, adding more stock if needed. Add pepper and spices, cook for another minute and then add tomatoes, vegetable stock, beans and lemon and cook gently for 10 minutes. Just before serving, remove the lemon slices and stir in the fresh coriander (cilantro).
              

No comments:

Post a Comment