Monday 1 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 1: Rainbow on a plate

Today is not only World Vegan Day but also my 4 year anniversary since becoming a vegan after 40 years as a vegetarian. I decided to celebrate with a simple meal that looked like a rainbow on a plate - the ubiquitous chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon, with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and baby sweetcorn. "What, then, is the purple blob on the plate?" I hear you ask yourselves - Purple Majesty potatoes. When I saw them at the supermarket I just had to try them. They taste just the same as normal spuds but look stunning on the plate, even though in this photo the mash looks a bit like red cabbage.


I won't be buying them all the time as they are more expensive and times are hard in this vegan's household, but they are fun for a change and for bringing a bit more colour to the plate. I'm sure that they will make a reappearance here later in the week - maybe roasted...


The chickpea cutlets were much more successful this time around. I actually read the recipe today and flattened them out a lot more so that they were cooked right through. The recipe made 5 cutlets so I froze the other 4 for later in the month.
  

1 comment: