Monday 8 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 7: Sesame Bread

I've visited Turkey 4 times, always in December, to visit Istanbul, Bursa, Meryam Ana and then to Konya to see the Mevlevi (Whirling Dervishes). One of my favourite things to eat there are the ring-shaped sesame rolls called semit, sold by boys in the street who carry them strung onto long poles. If I close my eyes and eat anything containing toasted sesame seeds I can transport myself straight back to the streets of Istanbul. I can't afford to visit Turkey this year, so I plan to try making semit at some point during this month. Meanwhile the next best thing is this Golden Sesame Bread which I made today in my Bread Maker. It makes wonderful toast.

Golden Sesame Bread
280 mls/i.25 cups water
1Tbsp toasted sesame oil
450 g/3 cups strong white bread flour
1.25 tsp salt
2 tsp soft brown sugar
1 Tbsp nondairy milk powder
5 Tbsp lightly toasted white sesame seeds
1.5 tsp fast-acting dried yeast


Add ingredients in the order required by your breadmaker. Set for basic white bread setting.








 

2 comments:

  1. I love simit too! I also plan on making it soon, I found this recipe http://seitanismymotor.com/2010/03/29/sp/ that looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link. I'll definetely be giving those a try

    ReplyDelete