Thursday 25 November 2010

Vegan MoFo Day 25: Mushroom/Brazil Nut Patties

Today I had a pack of leeks that needed to be used up and so I made vegeburgers, or to be more precise, brazil and mushroom patties.  This is an old favourite whch I adapted from a recipe I found in a supermarket vegetarian cookbook from the 80s. The patties freeze well and are quick and easy to make.

Brazil Nut and Mushroom Patties
175 g/6 oz leeks, cleaned and finely sliced
1 tsp celery seeds
175 g/6 oz mushrooms, sliced
100 g/4 oz cooked brown rice 
125 g/4 oz brazil nuts, ground
25 g/1 oz pecan nuts, chopped
50 g/1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tsp yeast extract
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper

Saute the leeks in 2 Tbsp of vegetable stock for about 5 minutes, add mushroom and celery seeds and saute for another 5 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary. Remove from the heat, mix in remaining ingredients and knead until strings of gluten form. Divide into 8 and form into pattie shapes. Shallow fry for 7-8 minutes or bake in a pre-heated oven at 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4 for 20 minutes, turning after 10 minutes.


I served mine with mashed potatoes and petits pois. They are nice with a tomato sauce but I had no energy to make a sauce this evening so I made do with some tomato ketchup instead.









                 

No comments:

Post a Comment