Saturday 13 October 2012

MoFo Day 13: Black-eyed Peas and Tomatoes with Spinach

I can't bring myself to move on from the flavours of North Africa so I'm going to have to revise my plans for MoFo. At current rate of progress I can't see myself making it all the way around the Mediterranean by the end of the month so I'm just going to take it easy and maybe I'll need to extend my virtual trip into November.

I have fond recollections of eating brown rice with a black-eyed pea and tomato stew when I was a student in the 70s - today's dish is a spicier version. I would definitely double the amount of spinach next time. Here is the recipe as I made it.

Black-eyed Peas and Tomatoes with Spinach

1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
100 g fresh spinach 
225 g tomatoes, skinned and chopped
350 g cooked black-eyed peas
1/2 tsp ground cumin
freshly ground black pepper
cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered

Saute the onion and garlic in water or vegetable stock until softened. Add spinach, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, black-eyed peas, cumin and black pepper and cook for a further 8-10 minutes. Serve with a garnish of halved or quartered cherry tomatoes. I served mine with steamed green beans, broccoli and romanesco, topped with toasted almond flakes and paprika.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment