Tuesday 9 October 2012

MoFo Day 9: Date and almond stuffed nectarines

I originally made another soup for today's post but it didn't turn out right so it's still a work in progress. That meant I had to quickly rifle through my cookbooks for an alternative. I had some nectarines that were calling out to be eaten, so I used a peach recipe from A Vegan Taste of North Africa. The peaches (or in my case nectarines) are halved and stoned and then stuffed with a filling of ground almonds mixed with dates heated in orange juice. They are then topped with flaked almonds and sprinkled with orange flower water and then baked for 25 minutes in a medium oven. Such a simple recipe and yet so yummy. The recipe recommended serving it with soya yoghurt but I didn't have any so I quickly made some cashew/almond creme to top my nectarines, which was a really tasty alternative. The recipe called for the baking dish to be greased. I cooked mine in a ceramic dish and didn't bother to grease it and actually it really didn't need it. I have another 3 nectarines so guess what I'll be eating for the rest of the week. This recipe is totally Eat To Live friendly as long as you haven't already eaten your nut allocation for the day. I'm rather sad that I only just discovered this recipe at the end of the soft fruit season and I'm wondering if it would work with frozen halved nectarines. I guess the filling would work in a baked apple. 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment