Saturday 6 October 2012

MoFo Day 6 - Ful Gnaoua

I ended up working for 10 hours yesterday and ran out of time to cook. Today my virtual journey has moved across to North Africa and I'm starting off in Morocco. Some of my favourite recipes come from this part of the world and I'm going to do my best this week to try out one new recipe a day to add to my repertoire, moving across from Morocco in the west to Egypt in the east.  

My first Moroccan recipe is Ful Gnaoua, a spicy stew with black eyed peas. I love the spices of North Africa and this stew is delicious. Using canned or pre-cooked  black-eyed peas it's really quick and easy to make.

Ful Gnaoua  
3 cups of cooked black-eyed beans
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin 
1 1/2 tsp paprika
2 tomatoes, finely chopped 
Large pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup of vegetable stock
3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Saute the onion, garlic and grated fresh ginger in a little vegetable stock for 4-5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook for a further 10 minutes. Serve with steamed green vegetables

             

No comments:

Post a Comment