Thursday 4 October 2012

MoFo Day 4: More tapas

It's day 4 of my virtual trip to Spain and I've cooked up another couple of tapas recipes. 

I love both mushrooms and garlic so when I found a recipe that combined them both I had to try it out. Some of the recipes for Champiñones al ajillo called for dry sherry. I couldn't find any definitely vegan sherry locally so I used dry white wine instead. In this recipe I replaced the olive oil with some mushroom stock. I used half a Kallo organic mushroom stock cube. They're not fat-free but I figure they have to contain less fat than a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. 

Champiñones al ajillo

200 g chestnut mushrooms, sliced or cut into quarters
6 cloves of garlic, crushed
50 ml mushroom stock
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp dry sherry or white wine
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Saute the garlic in a small amount of the mushroom stock for 3-5 minutes until softened. Add mushrooms, remaining stock, lemon juice, sherry or white wine and cook for another 5 minutes. Season to taste and top with a garnish of chopped parsley.

The other dish I cooked was a cauliflower and paprika dish - I love cauliflower but for some reason this was my least favourite dish so far this week.

Ajoarriero

1 large cauliflower, washed and broken into florets
6 cloves of garlic
1 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
3 Tbsp vegetable stock, plus extra for frying

2 tsp sweet or hot smoked paprika 
1 splash of white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sea salt

Cook the cauliflower for about 7 or 8 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside in a serving dish to keep warm. Meanwhile crush 3 cloves of garlic and slice the other 3. in a mortar and pestle mix together the crushed garlic, parsley and salt and stir in 3 Tbsp of vegetable stock. Saute the sliced garlic in a little vegetable stock until it begins to turn golden. Turn down the heat and add the crushed garlic parsley mix, paprika, white wine vinegar and a  little water. Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment