Saturday 27 October 2012

MoFo Day 27: Rice Pudding

One of the things I remember most clearly about my first trip to Turkey in the early 80s was the rice pudding, fragrant with rose water.This is my veganised version. I didn't have any pudding rice in the cupboard so I had to use white basmati instead which added yet another dimension of flavour. I replaced the sugar in the recipe with around one and a half teaspoons of agave syrup - you might want to add more but I found that sufficient. I know that agave is highly processed and not much better than sugar but dates or date syrup just don't look good in this recipe.

Rose-Fragranced Rice Pudding 

55 mls water
180 mls almond milk
33 g white rice, basmati is really nice
1.5 tsp agave syrup
1 tsp rosewater or orange blossom water
pinch of salt
freshly grated nutmeg
toasted almonds

Put water, almond milk and rice into a small saucepan. Add agave. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for around 15 minutes stirring occasionally until it thickens and the rice is cooked. Add rosewater and a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve  topped with freshly grated nutmeg and some toasted flaked almonds. I served mine with some additional almond milk and a splash of cherry juice. 

serves 1

   

No comments:

Post a Comment