Saturday 20 October 2012

MoFo Day 19: Egyptian Lentil Soup

I never got around to posting yesterday's recipe so I this will be the first of two posts for today.

I love lentil soup so I had to try this Egyptian Lentil soup. I adapted the recipe from A Vegan Taste of North Africa  I found the soup a bit bland until I jazzed it up with some chillies and extra lemon juice.

Egyptian Lentil Soup

1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
100 g red lentils
100 g ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp crushed red chillies 
600 ml vegetable stock
juice of half a lemon

Saute the onion and garlic in vegetable stock for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and spices and cook for a further 3 minutes. Add lentils and vegetable stock, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until lentils are soft. Add lemon juice and blend with a stick blender.


 

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment