Thursday 18 October 2012

MoFo Day 18: Tunisian Vegetable Stew

After yesterday's disappointment I was feeling a bit anxious in case I produced another meal I didn't enjoy. I needn't have worried. This is a stew that I will definitely be making again. In some ways it's similar to the recipe I made on Day 15, but the addition of  sultanas and dried apricot give the stew an additional depth and together with the spices they give the stew a delightful fragrance. The lemon juice gives it a bit of a zing. I served mine on barley couscous with steamed green vegetables and topped with green baby leaves.

Tunisian Vegetable Stew                  

1 onion, finely chopped
2 Cloves of garlic, crushed  
1 red pepper, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
200 g  kale or other green leafy veg, shredded

225 g cooked chickpeas
250 g (1/2 can) chopped tomatoes
150 ml vegetable stock
25 g golden sultanas and/or dried apricots   
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
pinch of ground cinnamon
100 g mushrooms, sliced
1 courgette (zucchini), cut into matchsticks

Saute onion and garlic in vegetable stock for a few minutes. Add peppers and chilli and cook for a few minutes more. Add kale, chickpeas, tomatoes and vegetable stock and spices and simmer for 10 minutes. Add mushrooms and courgette and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.


 
                         

2 comments:

  1. I included this post in my Weekly MoFo round-up today! I love the ingredient and flavor combo in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for including my post - this recipe is definitely a keeper for me.

      Delete